Thursday, February 5, 2009

99 Red Balloons...

So, yesterday was a fun day. I remembered that I was allergic to fiberglass as I was helping some of my friends with insulation... when I got home, my parents tried to convince me that actually everyone is somewhat allergic to it, or rather they have a reaction to it when it comes in contact with their skin... but all my friends were fine!

My computer decided it would be fun to shock me... I think he may be trying to commit suicide... since he doesn't like me either.

I hate February! It is the longest, most annoying month... and it has probably the most pathetic excuse for a holiday... Seriously, that's annoying... and irritating. And February just keeps trudging on in its cold, dismal way! Disgusting!

Sometimes I find writing club fairly awkward. For example, yesterday's prompt seemed simple enough: items from one place, used in a different setting. Well, it was fun, in a sick, morbid, twisted way... this time it wasn't entirely my fault that I ended up with a story like I did. But I did write it!
So, here were my items found in or on a human body: femur, tongue, hair, toenails, eye, and heart.
And my setting was: The remains of my town after a nuclear strike...
So that is where my story went...
You can read it if you want to, but I will not hold it against you if you don't. By the way, the name for this post appears in this story which is why I named it 99 Red Balloons.

Sometimes my stomach just feels nauseous. As if for no reason... I don't really know why and it just comes and goes... so sometimes I think that I'm going to throw up... but then I don't. Sorry that's a little random, but its just weird... because it can happen if I haven't eaten anything or if I have, at any time of day and then I get confused...

SO okay; I'll post my story now...

I shall preface this with… I have no choice: BEWARE OF WHAT IS WRITTEN BELOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My bruised body ached. I stood up looking at the chaos all around me. How did I survive? The house was completely demolished.

The landscape looked completely alien. Lafayette had never seemed so red and eerie before. I didn’t like it. My foot landed on something soft. I looked down… and promptly retched. A portion of a body lay in front of me. I think I stepped on tongue. I tried not to think about the rest of the wreckage around me… but I kept seeing shapes in the black burned ground. Was that… a heart? A leg, with the foot torn off? A stray foot, with blackened toenails? Sickened I turned away, only to see a face, one single eye staring blankly up at me… the other shrouded in the blackness of the hair. Why was I alive to witness this horror? Why couldn’t I have died too?

A dog scampered past me with an overly large bone in his mouth. I pretended it didn’t look like it had once been a femur. I walked on. What was I searching for? Some life perhaps. Did my friends survive? How could I find them in this war zone? Is that where Target used to be? My sense of direction was severely impeded by the dismal red glow. The entire landscape was so flat.

I looked around me at the piles of broken merchandise. I found a small package of balloons. Desperately I ripped the package open, and found what it was that I was looking for. With no helium available to me, I blew it up on my own. A song started playing through my sad and troubled mind…I began to sing it out loud. “If I could find a souvenir, just to prove the world was here. And here it is a red balloon; I think of you and let it go…” As I finished the song, I let the balloon fall from my hands. The wind carried it away. I followed it with my eyes, until the fiery glow swallowed it up…

If you made it all the way to the end, thanks for reading!

Song Title: 99 Red Balloons
Artist: Nena

1 comment:

m and a said...

my computer shocks me too...how wierd it that.