Tuesday, November 25, 2008

As Luck Would Have it...


Ah, Luck. People always say that they have either good luck or bad luck. I personally have no luck. I say no luck because I don't have good luck, which is obvious, but I also don't have bad luck... so I have nothing.

Here's an example: Once upon a time last year, I dropped a steak knife on my foot. Now a person with good luck would not have had the knife land on his foot. However, a person with bad luck would have had his vein or artery severed and would have needed to be rushed to the hospital. When it fell on my foot, the blade of the knife cut open my skin, but not too deep. Today, there is a small barely visible scar, nothing else... It bled a tiny bit, but not enough to have to go anywhere, I just covered it with a band-aid and went on as if nothing had happened.

Now, a smart person would never have dropped the knife in the first place, but I am not a smart person... just a normal person who happens to be very clumsy and accident prone. Of course i;m accident prone because I don't pay attention to my surroundings and I'm very emotional, so I get excited or angry easily. In the case of the knife, I had just received a phone call while I was emptying the dishwasher, and thus the knife landed on my foot.

You probably think that it's bad luck no matter what to drop a knife on your foot, and if I had no luck then I would have dropped a spoon or something. But I have also been cut by a spoon; they are not as blunt as other people tend to think.

Another example: getting pulled over by a cop and getting a written warning. Not good luck, because I got pulled over; but it's also not bad luck since I didn't actually get a ticket.

It's actually nice not having any sort of luck. Dice rolls never seemed stacked in my favor nor do they seem to be against me, and I can only really count on me. Plus I never have to worry about good luck going bad, or bad luck hanging around me all the time.

No comments: