Wednesday, December 3, 2008

流れ星 (Nagareboshi)...

流れ星 or shooting star.
Sorry, I was thinking about shooting stars today... and I like the Japanese word so much better than the English one that I decided to title this blog with it.

I thought I saw a shooting star this evening, but it was an airplane. In my defense, I only saw it out of the corner of my eye and it jumped a big distance. I don't believe in UFOs so I know it couldn't be that.

I love star gazing... or star searching as it happens to be sometimes... Sadly, yesterday when Jupiter and Venus were supposed to be lined up with the moon and make a really cool sight, it was overcast... and now my heart feels overcast as well.

I think I just get too greedy... I mean I've seen shooting stars. Several of them... I have seen meteor showers, but I still want more. I'm so greedy... maybe I just like making wishes. Yes, I make wishes on shooting stars...

I love the night sky. A long time ago, I thought it would be fun to be an astrologer. Yes, I do mean an astrologer. I thought it was crazy that people thought they could divine someones lives from the way the planets and stars lined up... I wanted to write horoscopes. I really did. Astronomy never seemed too bad either. However, the only constellations I've ever seen have been, Orion, Cassiopeia, the Big Dipper, and the Little Dipper... I can only ever find one at a time withe the exception of Orion, as long as Orion is visible, I can find it... I only ever see the dippers one at a time, if I see the big one, I can't find the little one to save my life and vice-versa.

I should end with some lines from one of my favorite songs... translated into English for you all...

願いを 流れ星に 
そっと 唱えてみたけれど
泣きたいよ 届かない想いを
この空に...

negai wo nagareboshi ni
sotto tonaetemita keredo
nakitai yo todokanai omoi wo 
kono sora ni...

I suddenly try to make a wish on a falling star
Under this sky, I don't think that I want to cry


-PLANETARIUM --Otsuka Ai



3 comments:

Zac said...

Dubhe and Merek in the Big Dipper (the two stars at the end of the bowl) point to Polaris. That's the easy way to find them.

Audrey Grisham said...

it doesn't matter, I still can't

Serena said...

Oh, I miss stars, I have to be in the "country" or really a cow field to even get a glimpse.