Monday, December 15, 2008

Jack of all Trades...

Okay... this thought occurred to me a few days ago... and has been nagging ever since.
Since I am struggling with what I should do next in my life, I've had alot to think about in the way of... well nothing...

It came to me that if I had lived a long time ago, aside from the fact that I was a girl, I could have been a Jack-of-all-trades (or Jane-of-all-trades as the case is)... and I thought "why can't I do that now? Why did I have to graduate with only one area of expertise (that isn't even mastered... I mean, I barely made it through...)?" Shouldn't I be able to do whatever I want??? I mean isn't that what we're supposed to be able to do??? What we want??? I'm sorry, but even at my age now... (20-ish) I have no idea what I want to do??? So why do we make 18-year olds and younger decide their futures???? I mean, I've changed my mind so many times about what shoes to wear... how can I decide my future at that tender age....

As I was thinking about how awesome it would be to do whatever I wanted... I was reminded of how cool those Jack-of-all-trades types were.... I mean they could do just about anything... maybe not the best, but they could do it... how amazing :)

If only they existed in this world now... then I could enjoy so many things...
I was watching my brother play Legend of Zelda... and I was so excited... I knew I had a good reason for loving those games... Link is totally a Jack-of-all-trades... I mean how many different weapons and items can he use??? Well, there's the sword, bow, boomerang, some magic, bombs, ummm, I know there's more... but anyways, he's totally wicked!!!!! Why can't I be able to be an adventurer??? Surely, there's still people out there who want to go on adventures... like the fantasy books... why does no one do that??? Did anyone ever do that??? I've always wanted to go on an awakening journey... soul searching or whatever it is... why is it only read about in books???

Oh well, I will eventually have to decide a course for my future... and until that time I'll be sitting and thinking what I could do... and why does it seem that everyone always tells you that you can't do something... unfortunately, I'm the type to believe them... sorry this turned out to be a rather depressing post...

I'll have to do a happy one soon...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You left out the fact that Link can play instruments, swim-virtually forever- and ride a horse!

and while I would love to, I'm not sure that finding parallels between Hyrule and the real world is going to get you much further.

Don't worry, you'll figure SOMETHING out. You won't let yourself live an unhappy lifestyle.

Just PUT a banana in your ear!

inthisplace said...

You know in that movie, The Village, the people built their own little colony so they could do whatever they wanted? But wait, they were rich enough to build it. And they had to do things the hard way. And they lied to everyone all the time, so never mind...